S.A.R.A.: Sexual Assault Recovery Assistant
Sara’s a multi-disciplinary sensation known for integrating her world-class circus skills and standup comedy to break down stigmas and facilitate empowering conversations around mental health and sexual assault. Bringing audiences “from the depths of depression to the peaks of comedy” (Orlando Sentinel) “She covers some of life’s darkest topics (PTSD sexual assault) while lifting you up on the wings of her irrepressible spirit” (Watermark).
As a rape survivor, she founded the first nonprofit digital mental health tool made for survivors by survivors SARA 501c3 (Sexual Assault Recovery Assistant), and its accompanying podcast ‘Speak up with Sara’ in which she breaks down stigmas and shines a light on the resilience, joy, and strength or survivors. Originally from Hawaii, she weaves in multi-cultural narratives while bringing in a spirit of Aloha (love).
Outcome: After participating in this event, it is expected that students will be able to:
- UNDERSTAND: Consent, sexual assault, and the signs of hazardous situations.
- DEFINE: Boundaries, communication tools, and safety plans.
- COMMUNICATE: Develop your communication toolkit to keep your and others safe from harm.
- EMPOWER + ENGAGE: Feel inspired and ready to be an empowered bystander, and feel informed an capable to create safe situations for yourself.
Additional Programming Options:
- Post-Show Self Care
- Add-on DIY self-care kit
- Affirmation cards, DIY journal, doodle, love letters for mental health project. Podcast special access.
- Post-Show Round table
- With school mental health counselors on site for facilitation if needed
- Q+A with Sara, ways to empower survivors, how to be allies, steps, and exclusive resources for survivors.
- All access-pass
- Access to unpublished conversations and podcast episodes, and first access to workshops and presentations.